Monday, October 20, 2008

Think! Our Eggcellent Solutions

This week for our Think! Challenge, we were given the instructions to gather the following supplies:

Photobucket
12 straws, 12" of scotch tape, scissors (for cutting, not the solution) and an egg.. raw if you are brave, hard boiled for the weak-hearted.. I hard boiled mine!

Using the above materials the boys were to design and build a structure to support the egg at least 1" above the table.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

We had a few fallen eggs (thank goodness for hard boiling!) and some materials that need to be re-issued...
Photobucket
Photobucket

Halo finished first..... I helped him hold the straws together while he taped.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Halo used all 12 of his straws and all 12" of his taped..... he needed to keep re-adjusting the straws for balance and we had a few mishaps (did I mention I am so glad I hard boiled the eggs?) but he figured it out in the end he raised his egg 6" of the table and I took a few pictures real quick.

Photobucket
Ratchet was happy when he finished his!

Photobucket
After some trial and error (and lots of straws!) he designed this structure using the tops only of all twelve straws and all 12" of tape. He made a sort of nest to hold the egg about 2.5" off the table!

Photobucket
Daxter also tried a few different ideas (and lots of straws!) before creating this structure.

Photobucket
His first few attempts used a lot of cut pieces and that did not work for him. He finally decided to use the whole straw and fold it into a triangle, taping the edges together. He repeated this 9 times and stacked the triangles up raising his egg almost 3" off the table. He could have used the remaining three straws and made it taller but he ran out of tape.

The boys looked like they were having so much fun I decided to make one too!
It was fun trying to come up with something different than the boys but it proved to be a challenge as they all had awesome ideas!

Photobucket

I ended up using 6 straws and cut them into 24 pieces. I used 18 of the pieces by taping strips of 6 pieces together and then taping the three strips in a triangle. I raised my egg 2" off the table!

1 comment:

Lorna said...

Great solutions!